My Thoughts on Spencer Gallagher's Suspension

An Article By Brian Cotnoir

So today, we got the very surprising news that Xfinity driver, Spencer Gallagher was suspended for failing NASCAR's substance abuse policy.  The news comes as a even bigger shock, since Gallagher's 1st win in the Xfinity Series came just days before his failed drug test.  It has not been disclosed what "banned" substance Gallagher tested positive for, I've had some of my friends suspect that it was possibly Adderall, why I myself suspect it might have been a celebratory toke of weed.  I can NOT confirm any of this, seeing as I have not spoken to NASCAR or any of Spencer Gallagher's representatives, and this is all just our own speculations.

Gallagher is not the first driver to be suspended for testing positive for a banned substance.  Other more notable drivers to have been subjected to NASCAR suspensions for drug violations include Tyler Walker, Jeremy Mayfield, and AJ Allmendinger. The saddest part is that this failed drug test came right after Gallagher's popular and emotional first victory in any of NASCAR's top three series. His suspensions also voids his chances of making the Chase for this years Xfinity Championship, which is devastating to small team like his.  Gallagher's father, Maurice, is owner of his sons race team--GMS Racing--as well as truck series team that includes former champion, Johnny Sauter (who I suspect might replace Gallagher during his suspension). At this point, I think it's safe to assume that Gallagher does not have a serious drug problem, and I expect he will successfully complete NASCAR's road to recovery program.  On that note, I will say Good Luck and Speedy recovery to Spencer Gallagher and hope that he and his GMS Racing team will be able to salvage some solid finished and put this ugly incident behind him.  We're all pulling for you, Spencer.

Spencer Gallagher driver of the #23 
Allegiant Air Chevy in the Xfinity Series

Also, can I give a huge shout out to the NASCAR Road to Recovery Program.  It'll come to nobody's surprise, that I actually dump on NASCAR a lot for moves I feel are unnecessary and unpopular with it's most die hard fans (*cough cough Stage Racing is dumb cough cough*).  However, NASCAR has one of the most fair and consistent drug policies in all of professional sports.  Their rulings are just and are not covered up like in other sports.....yeah, I'm looking over in your direction Major League Baseball and the Olympics.    NASCAR's Road to Recovery Program has done wonders--AJ Allmendinger is probably the programs most successful participant--and I think that Spencer Gallagher will also be a successful story from the program.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 10 Most Iconic Paint Schemes in NASCAR Cup History

Top 10 Ugliest Paint Schemes in NASCAR History

Another 10 Awesome NASCAR Paint Scheme's that you (may have) forgot about