My Thoughts on the 2021 Abu Dahbi Grand Prix

 My Thoughts on the 2021 Abu Dahbi Grand Prix

By Brian H Cotnoir

What a finale to the 2021 Formula One World Championship Season!    Congratulations to Red Bull and Max Verstappen for taking the World Drivers titles and Mercedes for winning the Constructors title!  A lot of controversy has arisen from the finish of the race, and I have to say the fan outrage regarding the finish and the final drivers' standings is pure tommyrot!  Listen, I understand fans of Lewis Hamilton are upset he lost the race and the championship, but the decisions made by the FIA are completely justified!

Our Champion, Ladies & Gentleman

I have seen so much Fan-Rage on Facebook and Reddit regarding the final restart and the FIA's decisions, and to them I have to say: get over yourself you big babies!  No one cares that you cancelled your Sky Sports Subscription, or about your vows to "never watch Formula One again.   We all know that you're going to be back watching FP1 in Bahrain in 2022, so get your undies out of a bunch and quit complaining!   It's not just the fans' reaction to the race finish that is disappointing, but also the reaction of Mercedes AMG Petronas Team Principal, Toto Wolff that has me upset.  His team still won the Constructors Championship, but he seems he could have cared less about that!  I guess after winning, 8 consecutive Constructors Championships the award becomes meaningless.    I'm assuming that Mercedes is German for "crybaby", because his reaction to lash out at Michael Masi and protest the finish, just shows a lack of respect for the sport and his competitors.

Oh Boo-hoo, Toto

Now, I know some of you keyboard warriors have a--literal--half of a brain and are just dying to call shenanigans on me like they've been doing to the FIA on-line, but it's all completely unnecessary.  This is far from the "most controversial" decision in F1 history.  Races like the 1990 Japanese Grand Prix, 1995 Australian Grand Prix, and the 2008 Brazilian Grand Prix had some form of controversy around the finishes in the Championship, and we still remember them today as some of the greatest races in F1 history.   I wouldn't be surprised if some of those same fans, who claimed Hamilton's pass on Timo Glock in 2008 a staged finish were the same fans complaining about how Lewis got screwed out of a championship this year.

Maybe it's just because I'm a lifelong NASCAR fan and I'm used to controversial calls regarding finishes to races, but I don't see Michael Masi or the FIA's decisions as that big of a deal; yes, the decision ultimately affected the final drivers' standings, but Max Verstappen is more than a deserving champion.  Honestly, I think it would have been more controversial had the FIA stewards ended the race under caution or didn't move the lapped cars out of the way.   Can you honestly say you would have been more satisfied watching a Championship deciding race end under caution or was affected because of lapped traffic?  If, you said yes, I will implore you to take a good long look at yourself in the mirror!  I had more friends talking about Formula One yesterday then I ever have before, so I think this finish and decisions were all for the Greater Good.  

To quote Michael Masi himself "it's called a motor race", and if that quote doesn't satisfy you then maybe this quote from NASCAR driver Kyle Busch will: 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 10 Most Iconic Paint Schemes in NASCAR Cup History

Top 10 Ugliest Paint Schemes in NASCAR History

Another 10 Awesome NASCAR Paint Scheme's that you (may have) forgot about